What Happens the Day of my Cataract Surgery?
Cataract Surgery Day
- Arrive at our Denver or Lakewood, Colorado office two hours prior to your scheduled surgery time.
- Complete the last-minute paperwork and make any final payments, if necessary.
- Enter our comfortable pre-op suite to relax and prepare for surgery.
- When it is time for surgery, we will take you into the surgical suite where our staff will numb your eye with an anesthetic. Your surgeon will check your eyes one last time before surgery.
- Your surgeon will then start the surgery on one eye only. A small incision will be made on the side of the eye through which the cataract-covered lens can be gently removed and the pre-determined replacement Intraocular Lens (IOL) will be inserted.
- After surgery, you are welcome to relax in the surgical suite for a while.
- We will give you a protective eye cover to wear for the remainder of the day. You should have a friend or family member drive you home so you can rest.
- Most patients can return to normal activities the next day.
- If necessary, you will return to our office in 2-3 weeks for surgery on your second eye.
While cataract surgery only takes 15-20 minutes, we ask that you plan on spending several hours with us on the day of your procedure. We don’t want to rush you through the process, and we want to make sure you are feeling confident when you leave our office.
To learn more about cataract surgery, contact us today to schedule a Consultation.