What Happens the Day of my LASIK Procedure?
Your LASIK Procedure Day
Wonder what your LASIK surgery day will be like? Here is how the blade-free LASIK process goes at Colorado Ophthalmology Associates:
- Arrive at our Denver or Lakewood, Colorado office two hours prior to your scheduled surgery time.
- Complete the last-minute paperwork and make any payments that are due.
- Enter our comfortable pre-op suite to relax and prepare for surgery. If you are anxious, we can provide relaxation medication.
- We’ll take you into the surgical suite and provide topical drops to numb your eyes. You will be awake throughout the procedure.
- Your surgeon will explain each step of the LASIK process so you are fully aware of what is happening and how the surgery is progressing.
- Your surgeon will carefully create a thin flap on your cornea using the IntraLase® Femtosecond laser.
- This flap is folded back and an excimer laser is used to correct the cornea’s shape. This step only takes a few minutes. Our surgeons use the VISX Star S4 IR™. The VISX combines Variable Spot Scanning and ActiveTrak™ 3-D Eye Tracking to provide our surgeons with the best possible treatment options for our patients. These LASIK technologies will have been explained to you in detail prior to your procedure.
- The flap is then repositioned where it begins to heal immediately. Your eye will be covered with a protective shield, and you’ll be given eye drops to reduce the risk of infection.
- You’ll need to have a friend or family member drive you home after surgery so you can take a nap.
- You’ll return to our office the day after your procedure for your first follow-up visit so your surgeon can review your results.
Most people are able to return to work within 24-48 hours after their LASIK procedure. It is important to follow your doctor’s at-home care instructions implicitly to reduce the risk of complications. On the day following surgery your vision may be improved, but you may also have moderate vision fluctuations.
The only way to know for sure if you are a good candidate for LASIK is to schedule a free LASIK Consultation.